With the New Year just around the corner, it is time to start thinking what new changes will be happening in your life. Need a few ideas to add to your list? Check out our top 5 New Year’s resolutions for the PR student.
1. Clean Your Digital Footprint: Make 2013 the year to completely clean all your social media outlets. Everyone wants to do it, but no one actually makes the time to sit down and start deleting. Well, that time is now. Get rid of those questionable Facebook photos or unprofessional tweets. Once it’s over you will feel so much happier. Don’t forget to keep it clean after!
2. Improve Your Writing: It doesn’t matter who you are or what you do, everyone can improve their writing skills, especially the PR student. So what can you do? Take a creative writing course, start a blog, write for your school newspaper, or have someone critic an essay. The possibilities are endless!
3. Online Portfolio: Relating back to point 2, create an online portfolio to feature some of your best work. This can include anything from graphic design to writing. Of course it is necessary to have one on hand, but never hurts to have one electronically. Explore a few free sites to start out, like Wix or Weebly.
4. Wardrobe Selection: Sometime we want to splurge on a new pair of designer jeans or shirts. But can you wear them to the office? Most likely not. Be sure to invest on classic and interchangeable pieces for your internships. Build on your wardrobe all year and you will be happy with the end result.
5. Internships: Once you have points 1, 2, 3, and 4, you will be fully prepared to intern. Interning is the most important point because it builds your experience as a PR student. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, whether it be in-person or virtual internships. This is also a great way to network and build relations.